Perry J. Gehring Diversity Student Travel Award
The Perry J. Gehring Diversity Student Travel Award recognizes an undergraduate or graduate student who was previously selected to participate in the SOT Undergraduate Diversity Program, who is from a racial/ethnic group underrepresented in toxicology (for example, African American, Hispanic, Native American or Pacific Islander), and who is presenting a paper at the upcoming Society of Toxicology Annual Meeting. The recipient(s) will receive a plaque and travel stipend to assist in defraying expenses for travel, lodging, and meals at the meeting. The award recipient(s) will be selected by the Committee on Diversity Initiatives and will be recognized during the SOT Undergraduate Diversity Program.
The award, provided through the Society of Toxicology Endowment Fund, honors Perry J. Gehring, a major figure in toxicology in the late 1990s. Dr. Gehring was known for his contributions in biological modeling, scientific evidence-based risk assessment, and as a builder of scientific organizations. He served as SOT President from 1980–1981. Dr. Gehring had a strong interest in encouraging students from racial/ethnic groups underrepresented in the sciences to enter biomedical science and toxicology careers.
Criteria for award:
- Applicant submitted an abstract that is accepted for the meeting. If you apply for this award, the abstract submission deadline is October 16. The general abstract submission deadline is November 13.
- Applicant was selected to receive travel funding to participate in the SOT Undergraduate Diversity Program within the last 4 years.
- Applicant is from a racial/ethnic group identified as underrepresented in toxicology (for example, African American, Hispanic, Native American or Pacific Islander).
- Applicant may be an undergraduate or a graduate student, with preference given to graduate students.
Items needed in the application:
- Completed online application form, including a 250-word personal statement.
- Copy of the abstract you submitted from the abstract submission system for the 2024 SOT Annual Meeting (upload into online application form).
- Transcripts including course enrollment for the current semester; unofficial transcripts are accepted (upload into online application form).
Undergraduates: Upload transcripts from all undergraduate institutions attended.
Graduate students: Upload graduate school transcripts only.
- Online nomination form submitted by advisor. There will be a section in the application where the applicant can send an email to their advisor with a link to submit the nomination form. Please send this template to your advisor in advance so they can prepare their response.
- All student application materials must be submitted by 11:59 pm ET on October 16. The advisor nomination form is due by 11:59 pm ET on October 18.
Apply by completing the online application form including all application materials above. Please name all materials to upload with your last name and the item (e.g., Your Last Name_Item.pdf).
Questions? Contact SOT Headquarters.