OTA Award for Excellence in Mentoring
An important objective of OTA is to celebrate those who have provided mentorship of early career LGBTQIA2S+ scientists as well as SOT members.
This award will be given to an individual in academia, government, industry, or a related field who has been a major influence in the mentoring of LGBT+ scientists considering a career in toxicology, those entering the field of toxicology, and/or whose leadership and service have provided career development opportunities or encouraged LGBT+ toxicologists to achieve their professional goals. Undergraduate faculty, faculty at primarily liberal-arts institutions, and mentors in industry or government sectors are also included in this deliberation.
Requirements for applicants
Applicants need not have served as formal mentors or graduate committee members but may serve to champion LGBT+ scientists entering the field of toxicology or maintain and support the careers of professional LGBT+ toxicologists in the field.
Mentoring activities, with other criteria listed below, are used in the award selection process. We welcome applicants to nominate themselves and highlight their own accomplishments and impact.
Required application components
As listed below, an application should detail mentoring activities.
- A letter of nomination that discusses the following at a minimum:
- Evidence supporting the active, intentional, thoughtful, and impactful mentoring of LGBT+ toxicologists
- A discussion of the impact of their mentoring philosophy in their current or past work community
- Scientific contribution of mentees to toxicology (e.g., "where are they now")
- A minimum of two letters of recommendation (one must be from a current or past mentee). These letters should use personal experiences to illustrate how the mentor promoted the field of toxicology and positively impacted their career
- Curriculum vitae of the nominee
The awardee will receive a plaque and a donation to a charity supporting LGBT+ communities of their choice, and be honored at the annual OTA reception.
Questions? Email OutToxicologistsAndAllies@gmail.com.